2021 Annual Appeal Letter
“Small enough to know you, large enough to serve you.”
Dear friends of the library,
Our motto informs the decisions made at the Gardiner Library every day — from sitting down for an hour with a patron filling out an online job application to choosing books for a local summer camp program to welcoming a new family to the area. We value our role in the Gardiner community and work hard to build meaningful connections and relationships. Although the pandemic still presents challenges, the library continues to advance its mission while maintaining a safe space for everyone.
- Re-established Repair Café Gardiner to reduce waste and help build resilience
- Created monthly opportunities to play music together, making us feel good and connected
- Displayed art shows representing local artists including Gardiner Open Studio artists and Lady Pink
- Participated in the Ulster County Food Fight, supporting Gardiner’s Helping Hands Food Pantry
- Offered varied volunteer opportunities to enhance everyone’s sense of belonging
- Launched a new mobile-friendly website and added virtual resources like HOOPLA, which offers over 1 million electronic titles
- Organized Gardiner’s first-ever Haunted Library event with over 200 people enjoying the festivities
- Enhanced and expanded our outdoor communal area with tables, chairs and landscaping
- Created in-person and virtual programs for all ages including outdoor storytimes, art classes and book clubs, language classes, birding walks and more
- Hosted the AARP Tax Aide Program which prepared taxes at no cost to over 60 people
2022 Future Plans
- Initiate the Sustainable Library Certification process, enabling the Gardiner Library to become more environmentally sound, socially equitable and economically feasible
- Create a pollinator garden supporting the Wallkill Valley Pollinator Pathway along the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail and future educational opportunities
- Install an outdoor Tiny Gallery, with rotating miniature exhibitions co-curated by artists of the Roost Studios and Art Gallery and library staff
- Develop a new, long-range strategic plan clarifying our mission, vision and priorities
- Reaffirm our commitment to building and strengthening relationships with community organizations and businesses
We are committed to generating pride in Gardiner and supporting a community where people feel connected. However, since March of 2020, we have faced decreased revenue in fundraising, fines and programming. Your contribution helps support our future goals and vision. Thank you.
With sincere gratitude,
Library Director, Nicole Lane and Board President, Norma Lana and the
Library Board of Trustees
The Gardiner Library organizes fundraisers throughout the year. Fundraisers include Mother's Day and Valentines Day orchid sales, ongoing and annual book sales, annual appeal letters, used sports equipment sales, our extremely popular annual craft supply sale and more.
Information about current fundraisers will be posted on this page.
Fundraisers and donations account for approximately 10% of the library’s annual budget. Your support helps us provide the highest quality services, resources and programming to our community.
Thank you for your continued support.